Thursday, April 21, 2011

Easter Ponderings

Easter is almost upon us and I can hardly wait. There are several reasons why I love this time of year. The days are getting warmer and sun is shining more often. The flowers are starting to bud and the dreaded blah of winter is slowly disappearing. The grass is greening, my allergies are flaring, the kids are running outside, and the grill has been cleaned and is ready for the first barbecue of the season.

But for me, the reasons I love Easter is so much more than just the changing of the season. When I was younger I never imagined myself being married to a pastor. Now don't get me wrong, growing up I was raised in a family that went to church every Sunday. I sang in the children's choir all throughout elementary school and was actively involved in their youth program in high school. But I will admit it, I never really understood why. Sometimes I felt as if I was just going through the motions because that was what you were supposed to do.

And then I met my husband. As a freshman in college, meeting new people and wanting to experience all that college has to offer, I had never imagined that the boy I would run into on my way to class on that very first day would become the man that would change my life. And to be perfectly honest, I would be kidding myself if I told you that I didn't have any doubts when he told me wanted to be a pastor. But he was cute and I couldn't resist his charm so after a little prodding on his part, I finally agreed to go on a date. And the rest is history.

I was able to see him go through seminary, watch him go from a rookie pastor to an amazing preacher, seeing the passion in his eyes when he is at the front of the church, watching him shine on Sunday mornings. And yet I am also blessed in that I get to see the other side of him too.  I get to see the human side of him. I see a wonderful husband who loves his wife and a father who dotes on his girls every move. And it is this regular guy that has taught me something. He has taught me that faith is not about the church or who sits in the front row. Faith is about the everyday. Faith is the kiss goodnight after my girls say their prayers. Faith is in the rebirth that spring brings. Faith is in the resurrection.

Which brings me back to the reasons why I love Easter. As emotional as the resurrection story is, I love the necessity of it all. I am excited and anxious for the Good Friday service, for the sorrow and the emotion that it brings knowing that on Sunday it will all be completely washed away. For those who know me, know my faith is very simple. I don't understand it all nor do I want to. But I do know this...

For if we have been united with him in a death like his, we shall certainly be united with him in a resurrection like his.
Romans 6:5 



No comments: