Thursday, May 26, 2011

Update

Ok, ok, so I have been a little lazy when it comes to blogging lately and I really have no good excuse.  But what can I say, life happens and stuff gets put aside for another rainy day, including my blog.  Although we have had enough rainy days here to drive me crazy but I digress.  So this post is a bit of a brain dump if you will and its completely random.  So here goes....

Ticks, Ticks, Slugs, and other Bugs!
Ok seriously, the bugs out here are outrageous!  Yes, PA is a densely wooded state with beautiful hills, mountains, etc. and when we first drove out here I thought that the scenery was gorgeous and that it would be a nice change from the openness of the midwest.  However what I didn't anticipate is that with woods comes bugs.  Lots and lots of bugs.  And they are HUGE!!  And some I have never even seen before.  Now at one time I would consider myself an outdoorsy kind of gal and that stuff like that wouldn't bother me.  Um yeah, nice try....

Case in point, wood ticks!  I have since found 4 in the last few weeks either in our house or crawling in our girls hair.  And my neighbor mentioned that her husband was bitten by a deer tick just a few weeks ago so now I really paranoid.  I am on constant look out and have to search my girls every night to keep those little suckers at bay.  So naturally I am online googling wood tick repellent and they mention that you have to keep your grass cut short.  Soooo, my trusty husband goes out and mows the gigantic hill in our backyard.  The grass was knee high and it needed to go.

Yesterday I was out, raking up all the extra grass, the girls are outside and Addy is playing in the empty field next to our house.  As I am raking, suddenly I hear a blood curdling scream and look up to see Addy running as fast has her little legs would carry her calling for mommy.  I run over to her and try to make sence of any English that was coming out between sobs.   From what I could understand, she picked up a piece of garbage in the empty lot and noticed an ant hill was underneath it.  Then she looked down and saw ants crawling on her feet.  She freaked out!  I couldn't help but laugh smile and tell her that everything was going to be ok.  We turned around to go inside and get her cleaned up when I noticed a small yellowish slimy thing on the back of her shirt.

Now a cool, calm and collected mom would have quietly wiped away the tiny creature and not said anything but again, I am not that kind of mom.  Now it was my turn to freak out! And then Addy freaked out!  It was not a pretty scene.  After I retained my calm stature, we removed her shirt and I disposed of the thing.  Only to find out later that it was a slug.  A what?  Yeah, you heard me, a slug.  You know, it looks like a snail without its shell.  Yeah, pretty much never seen one before.  Ick!  Those things are gross.

Fortunately we have been spared bites from anything too serious, at least for now anyway.  But I will still be checking for ticks every night, and any other creepy crawlies that may come our way.

Easter
Our Easter was really nice.  It was just the four of us so we didn't do the traditional big dinner.  Instead we opted for an Easter Brunch at The Columbia.  The girls were up bright and early to see what the Easter bunny had brought.  And sure enough he didn't disappoint.  After the initial candy high started to wear off it was time to get ready for church.  Here are the girls, all dressed up and ready to go.


And a close up just cuz I can't resist...


Church was wonderful, the cantata was awesome and the girls behaved which is always a plus in mommy's book.  Brunch was fun and a much needed family time.  The girls even got to have fancy drinks!  They loved it.  After our bellies were full we came home and pretty much crashed.  Especially my hubby. Easter is always a busy time of year for him and he got some much needed R and R.  It was just what the doctor ordered.

And speaking of doctor...
I have been sick the last few days and I hate it.  It is never any fun for anyone when mommy gets sick.  Especially if daddy has to work.  I have a stuffed up, runny nose, and a headache with pain that radiates into my teeth.  Sounds like a sinus infection to me but I am no doctor so I hope to let this one run its course.  I guess time will tell and if I don't feel better by the weekend I will have to make the dreaded appointment.  So say a couple prayers for me so that won't have to happen.

I think that is all I have for now.  Really, I like to think that our lives are more exciting than this but as of late, this is what you get.  Maybe tomorrow I will get chased by a a wild boar, or save the planet from certain doom.  But until then I will have to settle for being a bug killer extraordinaire. 

1 comment:

Shane said...

I love your wall color and those white vases on the mantle!

And the girls look adorable, as always.